Saturday, September 22, 2012

DIY Apple Cider Vinegar toner

My skin is terrible right now. So terrible that it demotivated me to look for a job. I was desperate to find a cure for my breakout. My 3-days search for that regimen took me to countless options like: Retin-A, Local Obagi, Beauche, Maxipeel, RDL, Eskinol, Pond's and CY Gabriel Medicated soap to name a few of them. I literally scourged the net finding reviews about these products. The product I really wanted to try is the Beauche set but my current "asset" cannot provide enough support to me on this set. That's when I realized I needed to formulate my own beauty routine without cutting my budget. So I researched again the net, and stumbled on this video.


The video is about making an ACV mask/toner but actually mask because you need to use it once or twice a week. The video hit me, I googled (my bestfriend) about ACV as a toner at MUA and Acne.org and most of the reviews were good. So I decided to make my own toner. I chose ACV because it's effective on my hair as dandruff buster. Yep, I use ACV for my hair. I dilute 2 tbsp. of ACV with 4 parts of water and use it after applying conditioner. As for the lingering scent, I didn't encounter such problem because aside from diluting it with water I do my last rinse of water after letting it sit for a minute. Here is a preview on beneficial effects of ACV toner on skin:
From LiveStrong
If you are looking for acne relief, try apple cider vinegar toner, which contains malic and lactic acids. It treats acne, promotes exfoliation and reduces red marks. This vinegar also regulates skin to its proper pH. The result is often healthy, clean pores, a natural defense against bacteria and dead skin cell turnover for glowing skin. Although this toner's benefits are impressive, it is contraindicated for people with sensitive skin. However, if you still wish to try it, purchase the raw, organic variety; it is reportedly somewhat gentler on the skin.
So here is my own recipe for ACV toner.

Jah's DIY toner
What you'll need:
An atomizer
2 tbsp. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
Green Tea Bag (diluted in a cup about 1 1/2 inches of water for max. effect)
2 tbsp. Lemon juice (or calamansi)
2 tbsp. Essential oil (I used Tea Tree Oil)
What to do:
Using a funnel pour all the ingredients in the atomizer. If you do not have funnel, you can mix the ingredients first in a cup then pour the mixture in the atomizer.
The toner lasts up to two weeks.

Recommended usage: Twice a day

The ingredients I used are totally known to help in clearing pimple/blemishes.

Lemon
The lemon is a citrus fruit that contains vitamin C, citric acid, B vitamins, carbohydrates and a small amount of protein. Commonly used around the world as food and medicine, the juice of the lemon may also be applied topically to benefit your skin. Lemon juice is mildly acidic, so it may sting or temporarily irritate your skin when it is applied. Therefore, if your skin is sensitive, dilute the juice with water and use a cotton ball or your fingertips to apply it to your skin.
DIMINISHES SCARS
Lemon juice may aid in diminishing the appearance of scars and age spots. It may also reduce the appearance of scars left behind from acne lesions. Melasma, a skin condition that results in the hyperpigmentation of the face during pregnancy, may also benefit from regular applications of lemon juice. For the treatment of scars, apply a small amount of lemon juice to the area of concern and splash with cool water.
HEALS ACNE
The antibacterial properties of lemon juice make it a good natural treatment for acne, and when applied to your skin regularly, lemon juice may speed up the healing of acne lesions and prevent future breakouts. Lemon juice may be used to successfully remove blackheads.
EXFOLIATES
If your skin is oily, lemon juice may be applied to your face to reduce the oiliness. The citric acid contained in lemon juice works as a mild skin peel by removing the outermost layer of your skin and reducing shine. The daily use of lemon juice on your face as a skin toner will gently remove dead skin cells, revealing a brighter, smoother complexion.

Green Tea
Tea is the second-most popular beverage in the world after water, but scientific research is beginning to show that it's not just good for drinking. Green tea, an unfermented form of the leaf, is particularly promising for its health benefits, and more than 150 clinical studies have tried to find out whether green tea has positive effects on the skin.
ANTI-AGING
Green tea compounds have significant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, with studies suggesting green tea extracts can help prevent ultraviolet radiation damage.
SKIN CANCER
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Several studies have looked at the possibility of green tea preventing or treating skin cancer.
SUN PROTECTION
Because skin cancer is often caused by overexposure to the sun's UVA and UVB rays, scientists and cosmetics companies are constantly trying to find ways to improve sunscreen products.
View full articles at LiveStrong

Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can benefit the following skin conditions:
Ring worm and athlete's foot
Softens corns
Cuts and scrapes
Itching of insect bites and chicken pox
Warts
Acne
Dandruff
View full article at The Body Ecology

Well I still have to keep track on my progress to attest that this is really effective.
Brands Recommended (for ACV and Tea Tree Oil)
For ACV, I recommend to use RAW Apple Cider Vinegar. The one with the "Mother" because it's the source of ACV's magic. If you use brands like Heinz or the ones that have been filtered you will never ever benefit or get any result like the raw ACV could give. I personally recommend:

Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar available at Healthy Options and any "green" stores.I forgot the price. sorry.


The body Shop Tea Tree Oil for 495php (not sure) but the price is close to 500php


My face's current condition. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment